Exult Logo

Home | Download | Documentation | FAQ | Studio | Screen Shots
Development | Discussion | About Us | Letters | History | Links

Exult Discussion
Before posting, make sure you've read the FAQ and searched the message board for previous discussions. When reporting problems/bugs, please include details about your setup (Exult version, OS, sound and video cards).

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 importing .png files for faces
Author: agentorangeguy (---.localdomain)
Date:   07-26-09 18:58

What is the pixel requirements for importing files into faces.vga? I don't have any fancy image editing software, just playing around with paint, and it can save files as .png. I try to upload that face into the game but it just ends up blank or not showing up at all.

Is there a pixel limit? if so, what is it? Are there any other instructions for importing files into faces.vga?

Reply To This Message

Re: importing .png files for faces
Author: Malignant Manor 
Date:   07-26-09 21:03

I believe you need to have the png indexed. Also, it is important to use a color map to insure that it will look right. I suggest downloading GIMP.

The png/shp needs to be indexed by GIMP by selecting Image>Mode>Indexed. Make sure dithering is none and Enable dithering of transparency is unchecked and then select Convert. Save the file and test importing it into the game. If you are going to edit more files, then you should do the following (or if it doesn't look right when imported).

Select>All and Edit>Copy your image since it may need to be pasted after using the correct color map.

To get the color map, you select palettes.flx and make sure it is frame 0, then select export. Open the file in a text editor.
Delete the line
Palette from ExultStudio

Add these two lines to the top
GIMP Palette
Name: Ultima7

Save the file and exit the text editor.

Import the palette you exported from ES into GIMP by selecting Colors>Map>Set Colormap... Left click on the palette box. Right click on one of the palettes and select Import Palette... Select the Palette file dialog box. Choose the palette file you exported and modified. Choose a Palette name and select Import.

Then select the palette you just imported and then left click close. Now left click OK. Now depending how it looks you can try to paste your previous image in since it will likely help it to match up better with the colors in the palette. You can either save the file now or edit it to look right if needed.

When creating a new image from scratch, you should index and select the color map before you start editing the image.

Reply To This Message

Author: agentorangeguy (---.localdomain)
Date:   07-30-09 22:15

ES isnt letting me import any faces. I even try making a new shape and importing it but it still isn't cooperating. How do you import a new face into the file using ES?

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-30-09 22:58

.png files are considered frames. .shp files are considered shapes. Right click on the shape you want to import to and using the "Import frame..." command will import .png files.

If it isn't working properly, you likely don't have the file indexed. Try the "Export frame..." command to extract one of the pictures from the original game. Then try importing it.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-30-09 23:20

If you still have problems after that, upload the .png file to the support tracker or bug tracker so I or someone else can see what the problem is.

Reply To This Message
 Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
 Subject:

SourceForge   phorum.org

Problems with Exult or this webpage? Contact us.
Last modified: 24 Oct 2001(GMT)