Exult Logo

Home | Download | Documentation | FAQ | Studio | Screen Shots
Development | Discussion | About Us | Letters | History | Links

Exult Discussion
Before posting, make sure you've read the FAQ and searched the message board for previous discussions. When reporting problems/bugs, please include details about your setup (Exult version, OS, sound and video cards).

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Not getting fully dark
Author: WJH (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date:   06-28-17 15:09

I mentioned this in another thread, but didn't want to muck it up with possibly off-topic images. I've been playing around with trying to make it dark, but just can't do it. Here are two images of me deep in the crypts of Monitor. All sconces have been doused (they are far away anyway) and it's night.

Here's the lighting with a light source. Full brightness like it should.

Here's with the light source put away. Different, darker shade, but nothing like dark. The same result happens no matter where I go. :/

Any ideas about what is going on? Thanks!

Reply To This Message

Re: Not getting fully dark
Author: Dominus 
Date:   06-28-17 15:46

Can you give the coordinates?

--
Read the documentation and the FAQ are your friends! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-28-17 18:25

It's around 0630, 2483

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-28-17 19:50

are you really sure there is nothing you left on the floor somewhere? Can you send me your savegame?
I just tested at this spot and it's completely dark unless one of the companion has a fire sword in the hand and it looks like your screenshot.

--
Read the documentation and the FAQ are your friends! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-28-17 20:04

Sure I'll send a savegame from that point.

I've also gone to other places I know should be dark, but have never travelled to in the course this play through yet...the abandoned gwani cave, out to sea on the ice barge, dungeons, the middle of the frozen north...all produce the same result for me. :(

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-29-17 00:13

Yes, its odd. I have no clue whats going on with your save, it behaves as bad for me.
Did you just play or did you mess with cheats and other stuff on the cheat screen?

--
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-29-17 02:14

I do play around with the cheat screen, but I didn't on this play through until after I had already done the Monitor and Fawn quest lines. I first noticed the darkness issue on my way to the goblin camp, however. I did play around a ton with the different scalers and resolutions, but that's never affected things in the past for me.

I tried a new game just now, and it behaves as it should, even if I mess around on the cheat screen. I suppose if I want it to be dark, I'll just have to start a new game. Weird!

I appreciate your looking into it!

Reply To This Message

Author: KC (---.46.227.226.lightower.net)
Date:   06-29-17 02:38

Exult bases a few things on the user's video resolution settings. Using the Point scaler at 0632, 2548, and a resolution of 1920x1200, I can recreate this:

x2 and x3 shows a dark cave, but playing on x1 shows daylight.

You can see similar in the NW corner of Furnace Park. The lava shape 177 is both On Fire and a Light Source, so even though it is very far away, on x1 Point scaler it is on screen and thus lights up everything.

Modern enhancement might be to get the distance between the Avatar and the light source, and lighten the screen the closer the distance.

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-29-17 05:49

KC, the problem is something else. It just stays in that low light level everywhere with that save, while if I load another game it gets properly dark, without changing the resolution.
Do you know if there is a global flag that could influence this? Its the only idea left :)

--
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Author: KC (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date:   06-29-17 20:32

Can you send me the saved game?

The light level is not set by global flag. There are intrinsics that can control it, but should change as the latest setting overwrites the last. Some are set by number of ticks. Even the Light (666 ticks) and Great Light (10,000 ticks) spells wear off. I'd be curious here if they do.

The Helm of Light does not use global flags, just READY and UNREADY events to add/subtract light. It's one of the few special Silver Seed items that do not have global flags.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-02-17 07:44

Did you die on a boat, turtle, or other barge? The Avatar's NPC flag 10 is set, and it shouldn't be.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-02-17 22:44

I'm certain that I never died on a boat, turtle, or barge. Could anything else have set the flag?

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-03-17 02:08

Found another odd spot. In the Goblin caves there's the two staircases down. The one with headlesses, and skeleton corpses, and gems has light on the left side of the room. This is coming from lit torches in the Sleeping Bull underground area, which it shouldn't be.

I'm using an old version of Exult to test this, but it should still be accurate.

0468, 1646 is the spot.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-03-17 02:09

^ And yes, turning off the wall scones by the acid slugs changes the light off.

WJH, I don't believe so, but haven't checked the Usecode yet. NPC Flag 10 should not be used in SI, since there's an SI-only flag listed for the same.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date:   07-07-17 01:52

NPC Flag 10 is in the game. So I'm not sure why it is still set though.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-07-17 21:07

I was in the process of a normal play through, and had made it to Monk Isle (also completing Silver Seed quest line). I wasn't getting cute with the cheat menu or teleporting, so I can't think of what I might have done to screw that flag up.

Unsetting the flag does not change the issue with the lighting. If I start a new game, all lighting seems fine, however. Must I restart (not a big deal), or is it possible to fix the lighting in my current game?

Reply To This Message

Author: KC (---.sub-174-199-0.myvzw.com)
Date:   07-09-17 08:13

Does setting off a Light spell change anything?

I'm at a total loss to explain this.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-11-17 14:14

The light spell doesn't doesn't do a thing.

I went through my old saved games, and see that light/dark was working properly when I went to the Sleeping Bull, after the Monitor banquet, but then went screwy sometime shortly after that.

I'm fairly certain that I hadn't touched the cheat menu or teleport at that point yet.

Reply To This Message

Author: DrCode (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date:   07-13-17 23:40

If you haven't already, you could submit this as a bug and I could take a look.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date:   07-28-17 06:37

I've run into this now myself. After being resurrected by the Monks and returned to Monitor's crop field, the darkness in caves no longer happens. The heat in Furnace also does not bother the party.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-28-17 07:22

Oh cool, can you reproduce it or was it dependent on where you died (Furnace?)?

--
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-29-17 01:45

The Furnace heat doesn't trigger in my save game that also has the light issue. I hadn't been back to that point in the story yet to notice that.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-29-17 22:49

Possibly unrelated issue, but when I start a new game, play a bit, and then reload the Quick Save (back to the start) the time does not seem to get reset to 6AM.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-30-17 01:53

In trying to recreate this, I have not had any luck while not using any F3 map teleporter cheating. I suspect this may be the reason why I have yet to reproduce this bug.

At Furnace's entrance at night, I see outside is dark, and inside the shape for outside light at the cave entrance is there still. It should hide at night, but does not appear to have the relevant nocturnal egg, function 0x744. Is this something that can be patched in via the engine (added the way a few shapes are removed) or something that should be done via mod?

The way local light sources work is kind of odd, though seems to be authentic. Candles and lava seem to just instantly change the palette, rather than brightening / darkening as the Avatar approaches them.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-30-17 02:05

In Olon's house, for example, the small lantern on the desk lights up several chunks beyond the house, even if the door is closed. That's way too much.

Reply To This Message
 Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
 Subject:

SourceForge   phorum.org

Problems with Exult or this webpage? Contact us.
Last modified: 24 Oct 2001(GMT)