Exult Logo

Home | Download | Documentation | FAQ | Studio | Screen Shots
Development | Discussion | About Us | Letters | History | Links

Exult Discussion
Before posting, make sure you've read the FAQ and searched the message board for previous discussions. When reporting problems/bugs, please include details about your setup (Exult version, OS, sound and video cards).

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Exult on Linux
Author: KC (---.46.227.226.lightower.net)
Date:   06-25-17 23:54

I'm setting up an older desktop with Linux. Is it better to use the Windows versions via Wine or use the native versions even if they are not as up-to-date as the Windows side?

Looking to use:
Exult
ES
UCC

Outside tools:
GIMP
ImageMagick
Git

Reply To This Message

Re: Exult on Linux
Author: Dominus 
Date:   06-26-17 03:22

Native versions but compile all things Exult from source!

--
Read the documentation and the FAQ are your friends! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!

Reply To This Message

Author: paulo (---.net.novis.pt)
Date:   06-27-17 08:55

Just use my ppa if you're on ubuntu.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC (---.sub-174-192-13.myvzw.com)
Date:   07-06-17 09:25

I tried the PPA but am not sure how to start ES nor Tools. Forgive my ignorance.

Reply To This Message

Author: Dominus 
Date:   07-06-17 10:51

If the ppa is installing them correctly or rather as I expect them to you should be able to just run the commands (expack, ipack, ucxt...).
Exult Studio should just start when you enter mapedit mode in Exult.
Or try running mapedit from the command line.

--
Read the documentation and the FAQ are your friends! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-07-17 11:55

sudo apt-get install exult-studio
exult_studio

I haven't actually *used* them besides checking if it runs you understand, but it's there.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC (---.sub-174-199-0.myvzw.com)
Date:   07-10-17 15:54

I've got a different problem. Linux Mint is not playing nicely with my high resolution screen. It might be time to buy Windows after all.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date:   07-20-17 04:58

The high resolution screen issue seemed to be hardware-specific. Using a native DisplayPort card fixed it.

Now I'm using the PPA but it does not hiccup on missing the proper mod installation paths. I forget to put conquests as a folder, and just had data and my config file. Exult claimed to be opening the mod but failed back to using mostly the stock game without any error message either graphically or in the terminal.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date:   07-20-17 06:04

There also appears to be a fatal hang when trying to set the background color preference in Studio.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-21-17 06:41

The error is likely to be the same. Linux standard is to copy read-only data and exec files to a read only path structure. This works fine for playing the game, because the default path can be changed at compile time. Currently the config is:

dh_auto_configure -- --prefix=/usr \
--bindir=\$${prefix}/games \
--mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man \
--datadir=\$${prefix}/share/games \
--with-timidity=\$${prefix}/share/games/exult \
--enable-mods \
--enable-nxbr \
--enable-exult-studio \
--enable-exult-studio-support \
--enable-gimp-plugin \
--enable-compiler \
--enable-mt32emu \
--with-sdl=sdl2

so, games data get read by default on /usr/share/games/exult/*

However, you should still be able to change this with the cfg file in ~/.exult.cfg (not the dir, the file exists too).

The hang is likely to be something trying to write where it shouldn't. If true, this is a upstream problem.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-21-17 06:54

Ah i think i misunderstood something, the first i also had some problems with.

In linux, filenames are case sensitive, so one of the default filenames for the mod configuration files. For a while, the ppa was not running the keyring mod and i hadn't noticed (because again, no error notification). It was caused by the default name of 'Keyring.cfg'. I had to lower case it to 'keyring.cfg' during install (probably because all game files were lower cased when copied to prevent those same errors, and the game was finding the cfg and trying to find the game dir from its name but failing).

So yes, i'm almost certain upstream is saying the mod exists if the cfg file exists, regardless if it can find the dir.

I haven't found other problems with the case of the files while playing though, i think the exult upstream is fairly disciplined about refering to files lowercase, this must be because the name comes direct from the filesystem (the cfg filename).

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-21-17 06:55

Wish i could edit replies. Disregard the second part of the first phrase above please.

Reply To This Message

Author: paulo (89.180.147.---)
Date:   07-21-17 10:47

In the first phrase of the second paragraph doh.

Reply To This Message
 Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
 Subject:

SourceForge   phorum.org

Problems with Exult or this webpage? Contact us.
Last modified: 24 Oct 2001(GMT)