Exult Logo

Home | Download | Documentation | FAQ | Studio | Screen Shots
Development | Discussion | About Us | Letters | History | Links

Exult Discussion
Before posting, make sure you've read the FAQ and searched the message board for previous discussions. When reporting problems/bugs, please include details about your setup (Exult version, OS, sound and video cards).

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Disabling the Die-Off in SI?
Author: Knight Captain 
Date:   07-24-16 21:26

If someone wanted to mod the game to disable the die-off plot-cuts in SI, how could Flag 4 be swapped out or prevented in the Batlin Wall of Lights cutscene?

Reply To This Message

Re: Disabling the Die-Off in SI?
Author: Jhonny (---.cust.dsl.teletu.it)
Date:   07-24-16 22:56

What do you mean ?
I found a nitpick,In Bg iolo cant eat cheese cause his intollerance and in serpent isle he can.
Can that be fixed?

:D

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-25-16 11:58

I was not able to recreate that in BG.

Reply To This Message

Author: Marzo Sette Torres Junior 
Date:   07-25-16 15:53

He is mixing up Keyring with plain BG/FoV.

------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Reply To This Message

Author: Marzo Sette Torres Junior 
Date:   07-25-16 17:43

FYI, the lactose intolerance thing comes from Q&I mod. In retrospect, it does not make all that much sense because the kinds of cheese made in medieval period had no lactose left.

------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Reply To This Message

Author: Jhonny (---.cust.dsl.teletu.it)
Date:   07-25-16 18:51

Thanks for the information,I didn't knew :O

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-26-16 00:52

Marzo, what mod is the Q&I mod built into now? I looked at the BG keyring and didn't see the spot where this lactose intolerance thing happens.

As for the die-off, it looks like this is the main bit:
void Func07D8 object#(0x7D8) () // killEveryone

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-26-16 01:43

How do I check what the current (non-scheduled) activity of an NPC is? For example, if someone is IN_COMBAT but that's not part of their usual schedule.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-26-16 04:28

Looks like using NPC->clear_item_flag(POLYMORPH) does not revert the shape used for the NPC like the set_polymorph documentation says it should. The command NPC->set_polymorph(int shape) does work, however.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC via VAX (---.sub-70-192-12.myvzw.com)
Date:   07-26-16 16:59

By replacing object(0x7D8) which is responsible for the Banes' slaughter, and unsetting flag 4, then setting a new flag 904, I can start reassembling the post-Batlin game. My goal is to make the three Banes rule over each of their towns as the intended storyline meant to do.

So far I have polymorphs set for each NPC in Monitor, and am planning new schedules and conversations, as well as quests to undo the effects of the Banes' rule and restore balance to the towns. I also need to write each NPCs conversations post-Batlin and after the local Bane has been kicked out of town.

I don't want to ruin surprises, but am open to suggestions.

Reply To This Message

Author: Dominus 
Date:   07-26-16 20:57

Sounds like quite some work you've placed before you

--
Read the documentation and the FAQ are your friends! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-26-16 21:55

Aye. Don't remind me.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-27-16 03:52

Since the set_polymorph isn't working as intended, I am using set_item_shape and set_item_flag(POLYMORPH) to change the NPCs, and then checking against get_item_flag(POLYMORPH) to do a new set_item_shape back to the original one.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-28-16 22:03

Is there a way to get a list of all eggs and qualities in a given area using ES?

Reply To This Message

Author: KC via VAX (---.sub-70-192-31.myvzw.com)
Date:   07-29-16 16:24

I've got the 100+ eggs in Monitor cataloged. There's really only a handful of post-Batlin ones to worry about. Since so many eggs rely on Flag 4, I unset it as part of the post-Batlin events and am making new flags for this mod. Fortunately the existing eggs can be reused via the new flags.

The Bull and Fawn Towers use their own eggs, so can be done differently from Monitor Tower, which uses the same eggs as Monitor proper.

Reply To This Message

Date:   07-30-16 22:46

7 NPC schedules done.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-01-16 03:23

How do I set a schedule that uses the Z coordinate? Say, having someone standing on the docks uses Z-2 rather than the implied Z-0 that set_new_schedules uses.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-01-16 07:32

I think you cannot set z. If you set a schedule that uses items (e.g. Desk schedule) they "should" use these items at the z the items are at.

--
Read the documentation and the FAQ are your friends! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-01-16 11:46

The Great Captains in Fawn do something similar with sleep. They are set to Sleep at the Z-0 of the foot of the staircase to their second floors, going up presumably because the bed is close enough for the engine to find it.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-01-16 12:24

Yes, that's another example

--
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Author: KC via VAX (---.sub-70-192-5.myvzw.com)
Date:   08-01-16 17:09

It's a bummer, I had wanted to script a few upstairs spots as well. Maybe that missing bit was why the upstairs of Melino's house with the lab was removed?

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-02-16 04:44

Funny how engine limitations have an effect on the story. As you suggested to another poster, I'm going to take a step back and write new townplots so I have a master plan to work off of. Then I can look for limitations ahead of writing code that would need to be changed.

On the technical side, my single biggest question at the moment is how do I add in new Shapes with values like offsets, stats, and equipment records?

I'm also curious why Ernesto and the Silver Seed NPCs aren't real NPCs.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC via VAX (---.sub-70-192-1.myvzw.com)
Date:   08-05-16 12:57

What is the correct way to add new shapes and faces?

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-05-16 16:04

Via Exult Studio, because it will add a Patch faces/shapes.vga file

--
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-05-16 17:06

Is that distribution-friendly? :)

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-05-16 17:16

It actually is distribution friendly. For storing it in version control there is another way ;)
Look at the SF Island patch/mod source. The extra face and shape are stored in shp format and a script for expack creates the vga files for the patch/mod folder.

Sooo, you better use this method rather than what I wrote before ;)

--
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-05-16 18:36

I'll give it a shot. How can I include item or monster attributes?

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-05-16 18:48

I never dabbled with this but probably through saving in Exult Studio. Marzo?

--
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-05-16 21:54

In my earlier play with this, the SHP file is just that, the shape. The u7tech.txt file seems to indicate a lot of DAT files are involved with the non-graphic values of native shapes, including:

SHPDIMS.DAT = Shape Dimensions
WGTVOL.DAT = Weight and Volume
WEAPONS.DAT, AMMO.DAT, ARMOR.DAT, MONSTERS.DAT, are self-explanatory.

From looking in my \mods\sifixes\data folder where I've been doing all of my testing and editing, I can see a lot of small files (a few KB) that would seem to match up. So my guess is I need to start a clean dev environment for this and then make my changes there, and move the generated files to my own equivalent of the \content\sifixes\src\graphics folder?

For example, I'd like to put in the bears I made earlier as new shape numbers, although I plan on doing a few items, possibly weapons, and even NPCs as well.

Reply To This Message

Date:   08-08-16 14:37

From taking a look at the FOV, it seems the reason both expansions use spawned eggs for talking human 'monster' shapes was a workaround for the limitations of adding the expansions to existing saved games.

Maybe it would make sense to convert at least Ernesto to being a 'real' NPC?

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-21-17 00:34

prepKillEveryone object#(0x7D8) ()
kills off only 2 NPCs but moves 54 to their death location, where they are killed by
eggBaneHolocaust object#(0x6B1) ()

gflags[BANES_RELEASED] is checked in 83 spots, not counting in some egg external criteria conditions, so it's easier to unset it than try to change all of that code.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-24-17 08:50

Since we have the option of using npc->set_usecode_fun(number) I think that will make more sense than trying to shoehorn the new in with the old.

Reply To This Message

Author: Alexander (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date:   01-24-17 14:13

I was hoping someone was doing this! I loved the cut plot parts of the game and would thoroughly enjoy playing a version of SI where everyone doesn't die.

Is it possible to put NPCs who never come back to Moonshade back in town (like Filbercio being a beggar, Ensorcio getting his house back, etc)?

Reply To This Message

Author: agentorangeguy 
Date:   01-24-17 17:09

I remember something about Filbercio's speech that he mentioned wanting to live in a cabin on the beach or something to that nature, and there was that small house near the swamp where it had a basement full of water. Back in the day when he "disappeared" (sent to the dead npc / holding area) , I thought maybe he would have been sent to that house or somewhere like it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 6 Mod for Exult site: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-24-17 20:12

Yes, it would be possible to change any NPC to go wherever.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-24-17 20:56

There was also that cabin on the beach right near where you summon the giant turtle, and I remember naked women hanging out around there too.

For some reason, I think Filbercio would've preferred that cabin instead of the one near the swamp. :-)

Another question occurred to me. Were the Gwani all supposed to be killed off by Hazard the Trapper, or was that also a cut plot element? I don't remember reading anything about them in the original plot documents.

Reply To This Message

Date:   01-27-17 10:56

That's Cindy, the naked blonde woman who you can't interact with. The bell tower house has no roof though.

I don't recall reading anything about the Gwani post-Banes.

A bit of Usecode stuff to note:
I've identified most of the game's global flags, but not some for the Oracle's switches or Sunrise Isle, etc.
Nearly all faces, sprites, and Usecode script blocks has been added into header files that can be ported back to SIfixes, and more shapes. I've kept the same general format as SIfixes for that purpose.
A few functions, like spells, have been broken out to one file for one function.
A fair amount of eggs and other Usecode has been identified and added to si_externals. Again, keeping the same general SIfixes format.
About 50 items have been reimplemented.
About 20 pieces of utility functions have as well, and an egg or two.

Some of the larger functions, like cutscenes are incredibly complex, but much of the stuff could be useful for anyone else who might want to mod in the future.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-03-17 17:52

How is this coming along? I would love to see this completed and volunteer to help in any way I can.

I have a considerable amount of dialogue from the cut plot documents if that would be helpful.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-03-17 19:03

I announced this as a working project in January 2017, and shared a very alpha version with a few other modders. So far I have just enough coded that the die-off doesn't happen, and most of the NPCs are transformed into animals in Monitor. I'm still in the early stages, so there's no different dialog or anything interesting.

Anything you'd like to email over, I would appreciate reading. I have general ideas for what I want to do so far, with the expected overview:
Anti-Shamino takes over Moonshade, and Ensorcio returns.
Anti-Dupre takes over Monitor, and turns the clan members into their totem animals.
Mad Iolo takes over Fawn, and... Well, I have some great ideas for this part but don't want to spoil it.

If you can create artwork, like SI-style portraits, or shapes, I'd love to have help with that! I want to make some new post-Banes NPCs from the ranks of Pikemen, Rangers, and the Fawn Guard, so they can have specific actions and dialog.

I'd also like to add some additional post-Banes party members from the existing NPCs, so I also need at least three paperdolls as well. Johnson, Cantra, and Andrio should be optional party members.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-17-17 06:25

Function 0x8EE, which uses the Avatar's location to determine which guard-type body to place, has a die roll for both Monitor and Moonshade. The Monitor one has a 25% chance of placing a female Pikeman body. The Moonshade one has a 50% chance, which is why post-Banes the body outside of Frigidazzi's house can be either. This is despite the fact that there's only a single female ranger shown alive, Julia.

This is the same function that creates the Brendann-match body shape all around Sleeping Bull instead of the standard Pikeman body.

As for Conquests, I've got down how to swap shapes, so that will make the apocalypse look more real.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-17-17 06:31

Check that, the Monitor one is 25% chance of being a Goblin male's body. No a female Pikeman.

Reply To This Message

Author: Gotcha (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date:   02-17-17 10:32

I guess Cantra will be on steroids too. After Balance is restored, Shamino and Iolo should introduce her to Steroid Spark. :)

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-17-17 15:22

Will Cantra be able to join the party? That would be really fun.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-17-17 23:07

Possibly. I need paperdoll art for her.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-17-17 23:19

You'd just need a head for her. Everything else needs to be the lock stock female paperdoll body art (as is the case with Spark).

--
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-18-17 01:18

UI_find_nearby doesn't seem to work consistently without the Avatar nearby. The same functionality is an issue with UI_find_nearby_avatar as well, as the original developers used several moves of the Avatar to do this in destroyEverythingInMoonshade object#(0x68C)

I wonder what the limit is?

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-18-17 21:02

My mod folder is now over 900 files, the base SI Fixes is under 100. This baby is growing to Boydon size.

Reply To This Message

Author: RavynousHunter (---.not.configured)
Date:   02-20-17 15:20

Dayum, dude. Any thoughts on popping this on to SF/Github/whatever? I'm more just curious to see how all this works; haven't had much time to do anything except read because of university, and I'd love to see your work, thus far.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-20-17 20:20

I'm not quite ready to post it all, but if there is an area you're interested in, I could email an annotated file or two.

Reply To This Message

Author: Incriptus (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date:   02-20-17 20:21

A Rose & A Dagger

Enthusiasm + Discipline = Dedication

Reply To This Message

Author: Sir Gareheart (---.nexicom.net)
Date:   03-06-17 03:27

You know I played the original series and found more plot holes than a wheel of Swiss cheese. I just downloaded Exult again for the first time in many years to replay the games with the mods; but after seeing this thread, and knowing how EA hacked the original story-line to bits for the sake of time and greed; I think I am going to wait until you complete your Herculean task of putting the original plot back together. I always hated the fact they killed everyone or that Harna or Ernesto, Ducio etc. acted like nothing was out of the ordinary, even though everyone in their respective towns had been hacked to pieces.

Kudos to you Knight for putting in so much effort. The die hard Ultima fans like myself are going to love your mod. I wish I was literate in regards to coding because as a writer I would love to help out with conversations and plot twists.

Hail to Thee!

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-06-17 06:48

I think you could help anyway with writing actual conversations and collaborating with the storyline, without having to code that in yourself.

--
Read the Rules!

Reply To This Message

Author: KC via Telnet (---.sub-174-192-2.myvzw.com)
Date:   03-08-17 08:28

On the coding difficulty scale, conversations are quite easy. I've sent an email to thee, Sir Gareheart. The largest UX limitation is with the length of text that neatly fits in a single conversation click-line, being about 150-160 characters. It's not a formal rule, but I believe it looks better.

I'm still in the storyboarding phase but have some solid ideas that I think will be well received. Since we know the least of the intended plot for Fawn I've been writing the most for it lately. To a certain degree I am hesitant to share specifics because I want it to have unexpected surprises to everyone.

Most of the now-surviving NPCs will have new Usecode function numbers to simplify coding for the mod.

With the early stage of development I don't have much in the way of immediate needs. Books to add color would be a good start.

Reply To This Message

Author: agentorangeguy 
Date:   03-08-17 13:22

If i'm not mistaken, didn't the original plot have sort of a die off but not EVERYONE would be wiped out? I vaguely remember seeing something about Moonshade cutscenes where you'd walk in on anti-Shamino publicly executing someone (Bucia? or it took place in her shop?) for breaking his rules.

Monitor had the totem animal thing which was sort of cool I guess but maybe that could be improved somehow... (perhaps a pocket of resistance somewhere?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ultima 6 Mod for Exult site: http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/

Reply To This Message

Author: KC via Telnet (---.sub-174-199-31.myvzw.com)
Date:   03-08-17 15:23

Pothos.

In Monitor you could talk to the animals, who would be happy with their rightful new lives.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC via Telnet (---.sub-174-199-45.myvzw.com)
Date:   03-09-17 14:05

Part of my goal is to keep with the spirit of the planned plot without being held hostage to it. The released game did not line up with leaked plans pre-Banes, so the exact final pre-cut plans may never be fully revealed. And many of you may have already read those plans, so I want you to be surprised and shocked when you play this mod.

Latest work has been on expanding the ideas for Mad Iolo's Fawn, and converting / changing Batlin's death scene so new improvements can be added.

I've also created a new shape or two, and will be adding more palette swaps as well.

If anyone has any artwork, book text, or other contributions, pleae email them. I'd love to include things like Savage Empire mod art, or anything else that others can also build off of later.

And I intend to add a way to Claw, so the canonical shape artwork can be seen. Map edits will be included as well to fit the plot and map.

I may also add a second layer to Moonshade.

Reply To This Message

Author: KC via Telnet (---.sub-174-199-45.myvzw.com)
Date:   03-09-17 14:13

A few technical notes:

Even in DOSbox the original game engine is visibility slower in Fawn, so it would make sense that Moonshade's second layer would have been removed. The Beta doesn't show much more though. Fortunately Exult handles the higher object count well.

There's not much more of post-Banes plot that I've found in the release Usecode. I may need to recheck the Beta, but didn't see much different there.

The original Usecode used multiple autonumber groups, so many functions have different numbers if not tied to a shape, NPC, or egg.

There's two different sprites in the Beta, and the Blink effect has a different color to the non-blue parts. It should be possible to add new sprites.

Reply To This Message

Author: Lavacopter (184.13.137.---)
Date:   03-09-17 22:19

I did spot a couple beta exclusive post-bane scripts.

MONITOR_07DD
This is super neat, this script paralyzes any npc/monster, /except/ bears, wolves, and leopards that have their ID set. In that case, the first time you hit one with the script, it sets the flag $firstsaved, doing it again sets $secondsaved, and if you do it a third time Anti-Dupre teleports to you and says "Puny mortal!"

MONITOR_08D6
Anti-Dupre attacks a bear. Then it calls:

MONITOR_07DC
This script handles stuff for the Fawn trial and the Moonshade banquet, but has an extra bit in the beta that looks to be Anti-Dupre killing the bear. I can't get these two to work, it just gives the error about not finding a bear no matter what.

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-10-17 12:34

Great finds, Lavacopter!

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-16-17 13:04

Delin may find safety during Mad Iolo's reign of Insanity in Fawn.

Mad Iolo's Throne Room:

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-16-17 14:12

Nice teasers!

Reply To This Message

Author: Francois424 
Date:   03-17-17 19:32

Man this is looking awesome. Definitely will be worth playing (to be fair the last few acts of Serpent Isle isn't exactly interesting IMHO, so this will be a nice improvement). I just finished Isle of the Crypts and I just cant push myself to play anymore... lol.

_________
Enlightenment Dragon

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-18-17 14:47

@Francois424: I feel the same. Of the countless times I've played through the game, every time I arrive at the Wall of Lights I feel kind of sad, knowing the rest of the game will be far less entertaining.
Sure, there are still plenty of nice places to visit, but knowing 90% of the island's inhabitants are dead is such a drag.

Really looking forward to this. :)

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-18-17 16:16

Thank you! There will be new shapes included as well:

statue base
plant monster
chaos monster
wisp
orb with face
cold strike - It doesn't make sense a cold spell would use a red fireball, does it?
paladin in blue and green - Matches up nicely with Elissa's blue and green dress.
paladin in white and green - So Caladin wears his city's colors, also corrects cloth color inconsistencies.
female Ophidian soldier
red bear, cave bear, and black bear - All to help differentiate the animals in Monitor.

While I have shared some of these images before, these are now all packaged in shareable SHP format. More to come!

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-18-17 16:28

Someone has survived the attack on the Seminarium:

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-18-17 20:19

Whoever made that blockade must have super human strength. Not even a 30-strength Avatar can move them! :P
I'm guessing Master Ducio, since he should have plenty of muscles from all that smithing. (Or has he become weak thanks to his student and automatons doing all the work?)

Reply To This Message
 Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
 Subject:

SourceForge   phorum.org

Problems with Exult or this webpage? Contact us.
Last modified: 24 Oct 2001(GMT)